I just finished reading The Son of The Prophets by Bryan Wilson and it was action-packed!

The Son of the Prophets (Power of the Stars, #2)The Son of the Prophets by Bryan Wilson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I finally finished reading The Son of The Prophets!

Action-packed is the best definition for this book! The book starts with action, is filled with action, and finishes with action.

There's no breathing room, it took me a long time to read it, but only because my personal life was absolute chaos, the book is super fast-paced and can probably be read quickly if you have the time to invest in the story. I had it since it was still unpublished as an ARC, but was only able to finish by now, as the book is already published.

There was a huge evolution plot-wise when compared to the first book in the series, The Forsaken Planet. We have way more POVs, and the stakes are higher for every character in the book.

A lot of things that were missing in the first book have come to make up for it in this one. We have a more diverse representation of characters and more POVs, which makes the plot way more complex, and those are great things.

The only criticism I have after reading two books from Bryan is that his writing lacks lyricism. The writing could be a little "prettier" if it was a little more poetic and philosophical at times, especially when it comes to the Prophets in their interactions with the characters, because they do feel like characters who would be surrounded by an aura of mystery, communicating differently from what the characters from the present timeline would do. The prophecies are written in a poetic form which is a way to aim for more lyricism, however, I feel like that could be extended to the way the Prophets present themselves.

This is not necessarily bad, and it can be great for readers who like a more straightforward and simplistic reading process. Since the series feels more on the Young Adult side of sci-fi, the simpler tone ends up making sense.

If you'd like to see a space opera that is action-packed to the max level, this is for you.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I read The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski

I read The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker

I read The Very Secret Society of Irregular Witches, and it was super cozy!