I read The Priory of The Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon & Carrie by Stephen King

Hello everybody, welcome back to my blog.


This post is an extension of the Library readings.


Basically, as I told you guys in my previous post, I started visiting the Library because my mother started taking English classes there. I got quite a few books the last time I was there, and these are the two latest books I read from this first bunch of books I picked up there.


This plan to become a frequent reader and dedicate more to reading started with a simple goal as well. I wanted to ensure that every book I owned in my house was read before buying the next one.


I ended up pilling about four new books without reading the ones I already had because I took some time reading the books I got at the Library.


But well, now let’s talk a little bit about these books.



The Priory of The Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon


What a fantastic fantasy book. I chose to read this because I saw booktuber The Book Leo recommend it, and right after that, I stumbled upon it at my local library. The funny thing is that I picked four books at the library the same day and decided to leave Priory as the last one to be read, so I had to rush the reading and missed the library deadline.


It was worth it.


I was in love with most of the characters, with Ead and the Priory of The Orange Tree plot being my favorites.


The way the East had a different perspective about dragons was exciting. I felt like the world-building was great for a stand-alone fantasy book.


By the way, I greatly recommend it as this is a stand-alone fantasy book. It may be great for those beginning to read fantasy like myself.


I loved the take on sexuality and gender that the book proposes. The idea of being a feminist retelling of St. George and the Dragon, set in a world with no gender inequality, adds a lot to the whole deal.


It's refined fantasy with a touch o contemporary.


I have been giving away too many 5 stars, but here goes another one.


 Carrie by Stephen King


I absolutely loved this book.


I decided to go on a Journey reading all books published by Stephen King and decided to start with Carrie. What a fantastic start. I am super excited to continue with the journey now.


I already kind of knew the story beforehand by seeing the movie on TV. When I was a kid back in Brazil, they had a few snippets of the film that would show on TV advertising the movie that would be up late at night. I would associate the image of Carrie covered in blood with horror since I was a kid.


Reading this book was a fantastic experience and far better than expected. The second part of the book, Prom Night, is impossible to put down. I ended up reading 150 pages from one day to the other.


No wonder Stephen King is known to be such a master. I am fascinated; this is just the first of many King's books I will be reading.

To wrap it up…


Well, folks, this post was significantly shortened. I read these books quite a few days ago, and I was no longer with them when I wrote these brief reviews. Mostly I based myself on the reviews I instantly make on Goodreads. I wish to go further with the review, especially for The Priory of the Orange Tree. But having a blog also means that sometimes posting updates may be more important than posting perfect updates.


I have been reading and posting less than usual because I had my mother visiting for a while. I had a great time with her, but she has already departed to continue her travels. I will miss her, but I will be happy to get back to my regular reading schedule as well, as there are many excellent books to be read, and I cannot wait to start.


I hope to be back soon. Thank you if you read this far.


Now let’s read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I read The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski

I read The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker

I read The Very Secret Society of Irregular Witches, and it was super cozy!