I read Yellowface by R. F. Kuang and it was one of my favorite books of 2023!

YellowfaceYellowface by R.F. Kuang
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I finished reading Yellowface yesterday and...

I absolutely loved it! I was going through a long phase of reading only fantasy/sci-fi and reading something so contemporary was a great refresher.

June Hayward sees her talented writer friend Athena Liu die in front of her eyes while they are hanging out at Athena's apartment when June decides to grab the manuscripts from Athena's apartment before she leaves. June proceeds to publish Athena's last book under the name of Juniper Song, a book about a lost episode of Chinese history.

The book explores the publishing process that takes books from an author's computer to the shelves of a bookstore. The book also debates racism, feminism, cancel culture, mental disorders, etc.

All of that is in only about 300 fast-paced and extremely funny pages. No wonder this book won the Goodreads Choice Award for Fiction 2023.

However, I can definitely see that it may not be for everyone, since it does go in depth about a lot of publishing technicalities.

I think it's worth the shot and if you read it let me know what you think. 🤗

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone!

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I read The Last Wish by Andrzej Sapkowski

I read The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker

I read The Very Secret Society of Irregular Witches, and it was super cozy!